The original furniture and funeral business were started by John McGuire (who had been in business from the 1860's manufacturing furniture) and Mr. Galaway. John McGuire was the maternal grandfather of John Low Sr. He owned the Uxbridge Piano and Organ Company and also sold caskets and furniture from that location. They moved to the furniture store on Brock Street West about 1891 where the furniture store is still located today.
When Mr. McGuire died, William Low Sr. and Mrs. McGuire formed the company of McGuire & Low. The funeral business was also operated from the same location with funerals being held either in the family home or in their local church. Embalming was practiced from the early 1900's with most of it being done right in the home. Horses and wagons were the only means of transportation.
John Low Sr. came into the business in 1917 and was actively engaged in it until the 1950's. In 1948 the funeral home was relocated to Brock Street East, where Keith’s Flowers is located today. William “Bill” Low Jr. came into the business in 1949. In 1964 the name McGuire & Low was changed to Low & Low upon incorporation.
In 1987 John Low Jr., the fifth generation, received his Funeral Director's license and joined the business. In 1989, the Low’s purchased another funeral home in Port Perry on Regional Rd #8 (Reach Street) and are operating both under the Low & Low name. In 1996, Peter Low, received his Funeral Director’s license and joined the business until his passing in 2014.
In 2000 the Uxbridge chapel was relocated to its current location on Main Street South. Bill Low maintained a presence within the company until his passing in 2016. John Low who remains the current owner continues to provide dedicated family care to the towns of Uxbridge, Port Perry and their surrounding communities.